Monday 6 June 2011

Stance of the week: xūbù (empty stance)

Oops! I know I said that I would try to post this early so you would have it in plenty of time to do your homework, and I forgot. :( Sorry! However, you should all know this one already, as we again do this one a lot in the form, though it is sometimes called "empty step" rather than "empty stance". Also, you only need to get four stances correct to achieve the learning outcome.

I couldn't find a copyright-free picture online of anyone doing this stance, so here is a picture of me doing white crane spreads its wings in the fan form. The stance is correct but I should have been looking straight ahead - difficult when someone is pointing a camera at you!

In empty stance, all your weight - or at least 90%, and of course if you have any injuries which make it difficult for you to put all your weight on one leg, you are allowed to cheat - should be on the back leg with the foot flat on the floor and turned out about 45 degrees. Both legs are bent. The front leg is held at a comfortable distance in front with the toes pointed forward. This foot is not flat on the floor and can be either toe down / heel up or heel down / toe up. Here in white crane spreads its wings it is toe down / heel up. Although the heel (or toe) must be off of the floor it does not need to be very much off the floor and the foot should be in a comfortable, relaxed position with no tension in the calf. In this picture my heel is slightly higher than necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment